Building disputes between home owners and builders

Building disputes between home owners and builders

In terms of construction, litigation-related situations most often relate to foundations, networks, or roofing and sealing.


Ideally, the use of an architect is still the best way to guard against defects in construction.

However, not everyone can afford the services of an architect. In this case, the construction site economist (he takes care of all the implementation of the construction site – building permits, specifications,) proves to be indispensable, because he manages the business directly with the project manager (business).


The art foundations


The foundations will determine the entire solidity of the house: a gap of a few centimeters at the base and your house is riddled with cracks (usually, the risk of crack occurs after five years).


Litigation on foundations is legion: to avoid any unpleasant surprises, choose a company affiliated to the French federation building (Qualibat certification).




Disputes between homeowners and builders about network problems are very common. Whether it is the electrical network (substandard electrical panel, poor protection of wiring), plumbing (it must be PVC or standardized copper) or the evacuation of water (WC) and wastewater (bathroom and kitchen), you will have to remain vigilant and choose a qualified company Qualified or a seasoned architect not to have bad surprises.


Cover or seal


The problems of water leakage in a house are a real ordeal and litigation related to the roof (roof) or sealing are numerous. For an impeccable thermal and sound insulation, you must be careful with the types of materials used. It should be noted that since February 2010, new construction standards have made all new buildings more environmentally friendly.


What recourse? 


It is important to note that the owner (individual) and also for the Mediation 4 builders is obliged to take out a damage insurance (price between 2,000 and 3,000 euros). This ten-year guarantee allows the homeowner to return to the insurance of the architect or the company for a period of ten years (even if the construction company no longer exists) if the damage compromises the solidity of the book, make it uninhabitable or unfit for use at home.


This insurance guarantees, in particular, the payment of the repairs before the reception of the works (if the contract with the company is broken) or during the year which follows the reception if the company did not fulfill its obligations.

In addition, you can ask for advice before, during or after the work at the UPAMI (consumer association in the field of the construction of single-family houses).


First of all, it should be noted that a semi-detached wall does not belong half to both homeowners and builders. The latter are both owners of the entire work. This is not an in division but a kind of co-ownership. It is called a common wall, a wall that is clearly the separation of two properties.


To prove that an old wall separating two properties is private, it is necessary to have an act where a distinctive sign clearly proves this belonging to the top of the inclined wall towards the supposed owner.


If one of the parties can prove that he has been maintaining the wall for more than 30 years, he becomes the sole owner.




Close Menu